[Digestion] The relatively high cost of digesters.

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Dec 7 18:17:42 CST 2010

G'day All,

One reason for the "high" cost of digesters is that "Westerners" seem to
have a preoccupation with complexity and large, centralised facilities -
which "we" expect to inflict on the rest of the world.

The small, simple, decentralised systems used extensively in China, India
and more recently Columbia, Vietnam, Cambodia and Bolivia and reported by
some members of this discussion group are making a big improvement to the
environment by providing convenient, clean fuel without deforestation or
fossil fuel depletion. They may not win on "biogas per unit digester volume"
or "throughput per day" and will not make corporate profits but they do lift
people from poverty, ease the grind of daily life and may well get more
biogas per unit of VS/COD, compared to "our" large units.

I agree you get what you pay for and there are bound to be improvements that
may need to be done, but it's also "horses for courses".

Happy digesting,
HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room S116b, Waite Main Building Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.