[Digestion] vermiculture of digested solids

Tim Livingstone tlivingstone at jollyfarmer.com
Mon Nov 15 06:39:39 CST 2010

I'm a lurker on the list for AD since it is something I'm interested in
but cannot devote time to at this point.  We do however, run a good
sized vermi-composting operation, selling both the worms and the
castings (earthworm excrement) from them.

You cannot expect to see a lot more total nutrients in a compost after
the worms have been through it but you can expect that the nutrients
present will be in a much more available format to the plants.  You also
get a large amount of soil biology, enzymes, etc. from the worms'
digestive systems that will be of great benefit to plants.

If nutrients are your only aim, then vermi-composting is not the answer,
but if you are looking at the whole soil system and interested in
stimulating the life in the soil while adding the nutrients, then
composting with earthworms is very worthwhile.  Vermicompost has it's
biggest benefit on the more valuable crops and crops that need living
soils.

Hope this helps,
Tim

--