[Digestion] Pressure

David david at h4c.org
Fri Nov 19 16:31:12 CST 2010

Dear friends,

Excellent discussion lately. I was particularly impressed by the
article by Dr. Fulford about biogas burners. Best information I've
seen on this subject.

I wanted to ask two questions just now, and I'll therefore be sending
another message to the list quite soon. Separating the questions will
allow the development of two different threads, if there is much
discussion about either question.

The first question concerns pressure. Obviously AD is able to generate
biogas at pressure. Any vessel 33 feet deep will have two atmospheres
of pressure at the bottom, and there are a number of digesters which
are at least that deep. The gas produced in deeper vessels-- if they
are not stirred-- tends to have a bit less carbon dioxide, because
that gas dissolves rather easily as compared with methane.

But I am not familiar with any work that has been done regarding the
relationship between pressure and the rate of production. That is, one
would expect that at increasing pressure, less biogas (measured, of
course, at STP) would be produced. But what is the relationship? How
dramatic is the reduction in the rate of production with deeper vessels?

d.

--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/