[Digestion] Re Digestate as fertilizer

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:13:59 CST 2010

Dear Bennet,
one of the reasons of applying organic manures to the soil is to provide the
micro-organisms in the soil with nutrition. There are many reduced organic
compounds in the material coming out of the biogas plant. The soil
micro-organisms can gain metabolic energy by oxidising them. If you
aerobically composted them, this advantage is lost.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 10:17 AM, <bennett at frognet.net> wrote:

> >> The use of digestate for crop fertilizers, is to me the very best
> >> option.
> >>
> >> The material contains all the nutrients required by plant-life as it is
> >> made up of the very same ingredients.
> >>
> >> Laboratory analysis of the spent material confirms this.
> >>
> >> The main problem with spent digestate is the fiber content. This will
> >> create nozzle lock-up on any spray delivery system.
>
> Can't the spent digestate be composted aerobically?  Seems like,
> especially if it is mixed with dry fluffy materials, it should compost
> aerobically quite nicely.

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

*Please change my email address in your records to: adkarve at gmail.com *