[Digestion] the perpetual motion machine

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Nov 21 17:36:57 CST 2010

G'day All,

We do get on to some interesting topics!

Of course there are losses in the integrated biosystem that have to be made
up by rainfall, sunshine and gas transfer, plus whatever nutrients are
exported in produce will eventually have to be made up (no, I'm not trying
to restart a previous thread - please!). It depends where you draw the
boundary and how tight the boundary is. I once gave a paper about Integrated
biosystems and pointed out that Adelaide (where the Conference was) was a
"loose" integrated biosystem as lot's of products crossed the boundary but
Planet Earth is a "tight" integrated biosystem as very little enters or
leaves the biosphere. I can't find that paper just now, but here is an
Integrated Biosystems one if you want some brief information <
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/website/integratedbiosys.pdf or PowerPoint
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/website/IntegratedBiosystems.pdf>.

Happy digesting,
HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room S116b, Waite Main Building Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.