[Digestion] Biogas Groups

Markus Schlattmann firmen at schlattmann.de
Tue Nov 30 17:58:32 CST 2010

Yes, anything published without password protection in the internet is
public, but generally not public domain (this is often misunderstood).
Normally if you summarize other people's thougts and writings that is
not your own generated content you give a source information.

This must be so, since nobody would create websites spending hours in
creating content if anyone could recycle this in an easy way, giving no
source information and claiming an own copyright. There would be just
recyclers and no new content.
And sometimes I see ideas or content copied from my page (sometimes just
copy and paste without changing anything). Of course this is not very
amusing.

Even Wikipedia is not "public domain" but "creative commons".

But I actually don't know the license system of the REPP servers, list
owners and users.
And this stuff is not my matter of concern.

Of course I write this in a point of view of a webmaster, not as a
member of this list.

Sorry for being really "offtopic" to biogas discussion.
But if user postings are copied, summarized and translated this may be
of concern for every single user.
If I would have a very good idea, and I would like to discuss this, I
would not do this in the field of public domain.
It also depends who uses the information. Is it a commercial website? Or
another REPP list group?

In my point of view there should be at least a link to the REPP archive
page stating where the original content is taken from. So there would be
also a benefit for the original list.

REPP list postings is exclusive content generated by each single user.

If it can be copied, summarized and translated by anyone in any way,
it's no more exclusive content.
Then it's public domain. This is the point you should become aware of.

And if it's public domain, just tell me! I wrote that my english board
is not very active yet, but I could post some summaries, leading to
duplicate content but who cares! ;-)
Forget the last 2 sentences, just a bad joke pointing to the problem I
talk about.

I hope I didn't bore you with this stuff.

Markus