[Digestion] Attachment to previous Article - More scientific based research and questions

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Thu Oct 7 17:09:27 CDT 2010

G'day All,

In the discussion below I see the term TS (Total Solids) used, and it is
important to remember that flour and sugar TS will be almost 100% VS
(Volatile Solids) and equate to very high COD per kg. It is VS/COD that is
available as substrate for anaerobic digestion, so when comparing other
substrates we really need a VS figure (or VS as % of TS) as a measure of
digestibility - manure VS is about 10% of TS so there will be huge
differences.

I also noticed in an earlier post the comment about methanogens being
present in our digestive tract (I agree that they are), but why? I think it
has been suggested they balance the H+ and H2 system so our digestive system
can operate (so they may be "good" bugs) but it may also be that we provide
an environment for their survival so they compete for nutrients. I know
CSIRO have done work on reducing methane emissions from cattle so I will try
to follow that up and I will also ask a gastroenterology colleague here as
well, but comments are welcome.

Happy digesting,

HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room S116b, Waite Main Building Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
<mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au> mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
<http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris>
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.