[Digestion] Attachment to previous Article - More scientific based research and questions

Markus Schlattmann firmen at schlattmann.de
Thu Oct 7 20:00:19 CDT 2010

  Hi Alll,

> Thanks for the last post, but you left me with a question.  Our data
> has shown pig manure is generally (roughly) between 20-25% TS, but the
> VS is often 70-80% of the TS, so between 10-20% of the total mass of
> the wet manure.  This corresponds with other data I have seen (right
> in front of me House uses 20% TS and VS of 70% of TS for cow manure)

Comparing substrates defined with the term "manure" is not easy. It
often depends on how the stables are managed. (e.g. more litter may lead
to higher TS, if the manure is analysed including the litter).

Another point is: pigs are monogastrians (like humans are). Cows are
not. So it's quite obvious that pigs (and humans) absorb lower parts of
degradable VS. Or vice versa: the "food-utilisation-ratio" (sorry, I
don't know the english language word) for monogastrians is lower than
for ruminants. So the resulting pigs' manure VS content is higher than
cows' manure VS content. This is also what your data show (70-80% vs 70%).
This also leads to a higher gas yield of pigs manure in comparison to
cow manure (L/kg VS).

Kind regards
Markus Schlattmann

schlattmann sustainables