[Digestion] Attachment to previous Article - More scientific based research and questions

Alastair James Ward Alastair.Ward at agrsci.dk
Fri Oct 15 04:06:53 CDT 2010

I agree completely with Duncan, we use VS mostly because it is so simple to measure and when combined with a little experience we can often make a reasonable guess at the biogas yield. I and many others have tried to make accurate predictions of biogas yield with a large number of parameters, including in vitro digestibility but the results are not particularly good, at least not yet.
Regarding the statement that manure cannot serve as food for methanogens, this is completely untrue, as any manure-only digester can prove. The reason there is interest in manure digestion is simple. We know that manure is a fairly poor substrate for biogas, but anaerobic digestion is primarily a method of treating manure and recycling nutrients whilst simultaneously giving a useful bi-product called biogas. We are well aware that food wastes, i.e. feedstocks from which animals have not taken their share, would significantly increase biogas production when compared to second-hand feedstocks like manure. The problem is that once there is a demand for "wastes" they start to command a price.

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Alastair James Ward