[Digestion] Dry fermentation in developing countries

David david at h4c.org
Thu Oct 28 17:44:51 CDT 2010

Marcus,

On 10/28/2010 3:03 PM, Markus Schlattmann wrote:
> I don't know if I have understood this 100% correctly, but if you
> have inlet air you will get a potentially explosive atmosphere
> inside the digester.

If the digester needs to be refilled then it must be opened. And if it
has methane in it, there is no question that at some point, when air
is introduced, there will be a potentially explosive mix. That will be
the case whether one opens the door on the digester without previous
evacuation, whether one introduces air rapidly or slowly, whether the
digester is flexible and allows [only most] of the biogas to be
"squeezed out" before opening, etc. Whatever process is used, at some
point between operating the digester and opening it, air will have to
mix with biogas and a potentially explosive mix will result.

But an actual explosion will require not merely an explosive mix, but
as well a spark of some sort. Methane is not self-igniting. As such,
if air can be introduced into the digester in a way that insures that
no spark or flame is introduced, and as well that if any of the
biogas/air mix that is being evacuated does ignite, it cannot in turn
ignite the biogas/air mix in the digester, then there will not nor
cannot be an explosion in the digester. A water trap is one of the
simplest ways of accomplishing the task, since flames cannot travel
down a column of bubbles.

That was the principle to which I was referring in suggesting to
Yvonne that two flame traps be used, one to force air in, and one to
allow the biogas/air mix out. As long as the mix being forced out is
evacuated into moving air, outside, then in the presence of a spark it
may ignite, but it will not explode because it is not contained.
Likewise, if it ignites, the flame front will not be able to travel
down the column of bubbles into the digester. Sparks and flames would
likewise be excluded from the incoming air by the same means, since
incoming air would likewise be introduced to the digester via a column
of bubbles.

This is a very simple, and if well designed, very reliable means of
insuring that enough methane can be flushed out of the digester so
that any traces which remain cannot ignite or explode, and at that
point the digester can be safely opened. Using simple measurements--
properly made, i.e. at the pressures experienced when using both flame
traps-- one can find out how much air is forced into the digester
during a given period, and one can then choose a duration for the
evacuation process which will insure a non-flammable mix in the digester.

My apologies if this was not clear from my short explanation.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/