[Digestion] question about digestion of Vodka Draff

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Mon Aug 15 07:50:57 CDT 2011

Hello Listers and Theo,

To get hydrogen sulphide you need sulphur. Most grains or starch materials have
very little sulphur in them, so hydrogen sulphide is not an inherent product
from the processing of vodka. However, sulphur compounds are often added as a
preservative in wine and alcohol manufacture, so it might be added to the
process. This would explain the confusing answers; it depends on the way the
vodka is processed.

I discovered this issue myself. I was running a laboratory digester on starch,
but decided I needed to add nitrogen to keep the microbes happy. We therefore
purchased nitrogen rich fertilisers. Unfortunately, we added ammonium sulphide
and wondered why we suddenly started producing hydrogen sulphide. It was not
until I looked at the packet that I worked out why I was stinking the laboratory
out.

--
Best regards,
 David