[Digestion] Digestate

Murali Krishna bmkrishna6 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 21:38:52 CST 2011

Good day Alex,

Undoubtedly the spent slurry is the best nutrient source to plants/crops,
provided that necessary care is taken, and it is free from pathogens and in
the available form.  "All soils have all the nutrients necessary for
healthy plant growth" holds good only when  the surface top  layer (12
inches) is with some flora fauna and the soil is  not overdrawn. Now a days
we witness this situation only in Forest Regions.  When an ideal living
conditions do exist even the small amount of macro and micro organisms
would multiply and even the undigested portion of the digestate will be
brought into available form by the microbes. To bring the hidden stored
reserves from the bottom layers of the soils (upto 20 feet depth) we need
again some species like earthworms, etc.   For all this to happen we need
some carbonaceous material and which is converted into humus by macro and
micro flora and fauna.  The humus is an essential link. Building soil
reserves is essential so that our future generations will have something to
eat .  If I am right all the magic is done in the top surface area of the
soil in and around the feeder roots (even transmutation).

When a human is sick we put him on drip it does not meant we will survive
on drip without having balanced food to build blood and muscle,  so is the
available form of nutrients.  The need of the hour is to conserve soils and
build reserves that is possible with some amount of carbonaceous materials
then and only  then as Dr. Karve had said microbes will take care
everything.  If any system is working anywhere without carbonaceous
material we can assume that there are still some reserves in the top soil
and some humus.

We have almost drawn out reserves and it is high time we build a  deposit
while drawing limited funds for day to day needs leaving behind some amount
of reserve every year. This is the way our forefathers gave us richest
soils!

Krishna

*
**
*
* **Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it*
*Save the Environment*

*
*