[Digestion] Bacteria for starting anaerobic digestion of food waste

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 05:54:28 CST 2011

They are naturally present in cattle dung. In our urban domestic biogas
plants, which use only food waste as feedstock, we use dung as the starter,
at the rate of about 40 kg dung per cubic meter digester capacity. People
have reported to me that even after keeping the biogas plant idle for about
3 months, it started producing biogas after the water level in the digester
was restored and when they provided the necessary quantity of food waste.
This means, that when stored under wet anaerobic conditions, the
methanogenic organisms survive for three months.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Bryan Sanchez Marcum <bsmarcum at gmail.com>wrote:

> To all,
>
> Can anyone tell me where to buy anaerobic bacterias to start the anaerobic
> reaction for food waste or where I could find theses and store them as I
> need them?
>
> Thanks to all!!
> --
>
> Bryan A. Sánchez Marcum
>
> IEEE RAS PUPR Student Chapter
>
> President
>
> bsmarcum at ieee.org
>
> www.ieee-ras.org
>
> 939-891-9338

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)