[Digestion] Digestate comparison to liquid worm castings

davidf@kingdombio.co.uk Fulford davidf at kingdombio.co.uk
Mon Dec 5 10:23:39 CST 2011

Jim, Alexander and listers,

Biogas effluent straight from the digester is likely to contain hydrogen
sulphiode, which is very poisonous and is likely to kill worms. It is
always recommended that fertilizer be "matured" to allow such nasties to
evaporate.

Absorbing the slurry in solid material for further composting allows such
maturation. Some of the microbes in the slurry convert the hydrogen
suplphide into sulphur in the presence of air. Leaving the slurry to mature
gives them time to do this. Natural sulphur acts as a fungicide and also
helps the soil.

Using effluent direct from the plant also allows ammonia to reach the
growing plants quickly. They tend to grow fast and then collapse. Raw
ammonia probably also has a bad effect on worms. Maturation without
absorbtion allows the ammonia to evaporate. Absorbtion allows the ammonia
to react with sodium or potassium in the dry material to form salts which
are absorbed less quickly by plants and are less likely to affect worms.

Best wishes,

David F.