[Digestion] Digestion of Grape Pomace and Winery Wastewater Sludge

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Feb 13 14:06:14 CST 2011

A winery produces grape pomace and sludge from their wastewater treatment.
They have been considering thermal conversion but it seems to me that AD
would be a better choice for recovering nutrients (N P K S) that are
otherwise problems in gasification or combustion.

Can grape pomace be digested or are there components such as residual
alcohol than interfere with digestion?

How much biogas can be produced from 1 ton of grape pomace at 55% MC (or
0.45 dry tons)?

It seems to me that the capital cost will be higher but the operating costs
and life cycle costs and benefits (present value of the costs an revenues)
from pollution control, volume reduction, nutrient recovery in liquid and
solid digestate and energy recovery would be higher with AD than with
thermal conversion. Bad assumption or worth investigating? Has anyone done
this comparison?

Thanks

Tom Miles