[Digestion] Negative Biogas Press

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Feb 13 19:18:58 CST 2011

G'day All,

To comment on the "gas" aspect - if you compost the waste you release CO2
anyway (probably more that in AD, as the aerobic process is faster) so why
not use the methane on the way through to CO2? If the process is not kept
aerobic (and it takes a fair amount of energy to achieve aeration!) you are
releasing methane anyway and methane is 23 times worse as a greenhouse gas!

I do have reservations about the "European" situation of feeding silage to
digesters (instead of to animals) and importing meat from elsewhere - it
would be interesting to see a system analysis. I am sure subsidies have
skewed the economics and hence the energy balances.

I have had correspondence about Clostridium botulinum  previously but I
suspect that, like many things, it is really only a problem when "the
system" (in this case the soil) becomes overloaded - otherwise how has the
human race survived to this point and not been wiped out a long time ago?

Happy digesting,

HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room S116b, Waite Main Building Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
<mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au> mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
<http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris>
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.