[Digestion] Biogas COD/CH4 yield

Gasan Osojnik gasan.osojnik at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:32:04 CST 2011

Dear all,

I think the discussed  parameters regarding the COD/CH4 yield have to be
further clarified.

The reference value 0.35 m3 methane / kg of COD is a theoretical value
everyone can calculate, and is used for engineering purposes in the
designing & optimization stage of the biogas plant. As Marcus already
explained, it is calculated on the basis of COD *of* methane, therefore:

CH4 + 2xO2 -> CO2 + 2xH2O

m(CH4) = 16 g
m (2xO2) = 64 g
COD(CH4) = 16 g CH4 / 64 g O2 = 4 g COD

As 1 mole of gas = 22,4 dm3 @ stp,

ρ(CH4) = 16g  / 22,4 dm3 =  0,71 g/dm3

And 1 g of CH4 occupies @stp

V(CH4) = 22,4 / 16g = 1,4 dm3 CH4

To summarize, 1 g of CH4 is 4 g of COD and occupies 1,4 dm3 CH4 @stp,

therefore,  per 1 g of COD

Y= 1,4 dm3 CH4/4g COD = 0,35 m3 CH4 / kg COD

Anaerobic degradation of 1 kg COD of substrate (which is "transfered" to the
COD of methane) therefore theoretically yields 0,35 m3 of methane.
As expected, this values are strongly under matched in real operating
conditions.

The value mentioned by Mel, derived from experimental conditions, is most
likely coincidental, meaning that the operating conditions in that
particular case (0,35 m3 CH4 / 4 kg COD) meaning, that the Yi = (0,35/1) /
(0,35/4) = 25% of theoretical yield, or can be derived from inappropriate
interpretation of the theoretical values, as 1000 mol of CH4 do indeed
correspond to 4 kg of COD (4 g COD/mole of CH4).

BR from SI, Gasan