[Digestion] Subsidies, funding, and politics of AD in the U.S.

armoss at umd.edu armoss at umd.edu
Wed Feb 16 22:49:33 CST 2011

  Hello all-
  I realize this is a topic that must get attention
  fairly often from this group, so apologies if I'm
  asking you to revisit too recent of a post.  I'm
  interested in finding out what subsidies and funding
  streams are currently available to the AD community
  for digester projects and AD businesses operating in
  the U.S.  I'm aware of some limited carbon trading
  and occasional grants from the USDA for large-scale
  agricultural operations but, aside from that, what
  subsidies or outside funding are AD companies able
  to obtain?  Are their subsidies available to their
  clients?  What aspects of the recent stimulus bill
  (if any) have been successfully applied to the AD
  field and how far are those funds from drying up?
  Are there any state specific programs that any of
  you are familiar with?  Also, is there a portion of
  the AD community that is currently organized enough
  to have a voice and a presence in Washington, D.C.?
  If not, what channels are start-ups using to promote
  the technology and/or industry as a whole?

  Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

  Sincerely,

Andrew R. Moss
Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Fellow
University of Maryland Dept. of Environmental Science and Technology
1445 Animal Sci./Ag. Engineering (Bldg. 142)
University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
Phone:  (865) 363-5535