[Digestion] 250kW hot water biogas boiler

Edward Matos edward.matos at shambatechnologies.com
Fri Jan 7 01:42:01 CST 2011

Dear biodigestion experts,

A milk processing company in our vicinity (Tanga, Tanzania) has had a
lasting interest in converting its milk pasteurising process from running on
propane to running on biogas. I am doing them a little favour by helping
them to make a feasibility study and find the right people that will make
this happen. Unfortunately I have very little experience in biogas
combustion and would like to find out if anyone here is/knows someone who
could help us on this subject.

I am looking for a someone that could make a cost-effective
modification/replacement to the current burner, so that it can may run
interchangeably on biogas or propane. I've included a few system
specifications below:

Burner make/model:                     Buderus Logano SE635

Gas regulator make:                       Dreizler

Gas:                                                       Propane @ 1.5 bar
(apparently not of particularly good quality)

Heating power:                                 250kW

Usage:                                                  230-300 litres of
liquified propane gas /day

The burner is used to heat water from around 70 degrees C to 95 degrees C in
a boiler.

Does anyone know if such a replacement/modification is typically financially
viable? Of course this depends on the rest of the system but I would be
interested of hearing/reading about similar switch-overs in this ballpark
that have been carried out before with financial success in the context of
their own systems.

Many thanks for any help that could be offered.

Best regards,

Edward

Edward Matos

MEng (Hons.), AMIMechE, Hon.MSEE