[Digestion] Small Digester and Rankine Engine Questions

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Wed Jan 12 10:22:12 CST 2011

Charles and listers,

The best source of information on AD in USA is the AgSTAR project run by
EPA (www.epa.gov/agstar/ <http://www.epa.gov/agstar/>). They have a
database of digesters, which includes a few small ones.

They point to the Minnesota Project  (www.mnproject.org
<http://www.mnproject.org/index.html>)  which is trying to concentrate
on biogas for small farms (125 cattle or less).

Regards,

David F

On 11/01/2011 17:07, Gould, Merrill wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have two questions I am hoping someone has answers for:
>
> 1.Are there small farms with digesters in the United States? When I
> say small farm I don't mean 2-3 cows, I mean a farm with around 125
> dairy cows, which is the average herd size in Michigan. If so, where
> are they and what has been their experience with their digester? I
> suspect there probably are no small farms with digesters in the US,
> but I would really like to know. I have had numerous inquiries from
> farmers with small farms in West Michigan about putting in a digester
> on their farm. If my assumption is correct that there are no small
> farms with digesters, are there farms with comparable numbers of dairy
> cattle with digesters outside of the United State? If so, where are
> they and what has their experience been with their digester?
>
> 2.Has anyone had experience using a Rankine engine as part of an
> energy producing system?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide me.
>
> Charles Gould
>
> Michigan State University Extension
>
> West Olive, Michigan

Dr David Fulford CEnv MEI, 15, Brandon Ave, Woodley, Reading RG5 4PU
d.j.fulford at btinternet.com <mailto:d.j.fulford at btinternet.com>, Tel:
+44(0)118 326 9779 Mob: +44(0)7746 806401
Kingdom Bioenergy Ltd, www.kingdombio.com <http://www.kingdombio.com>,
davidf at kindombio.com <mailto:davidf at kindombio.com>