[Digestion] Biogas conversation rates

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Mon Jan 17 05:43:47 CST 2011

Loe, Hello,

The key to the problem is efficiencies (or more to the point:
inefficiencies). Getting light from burning kerosene or biogas is very
inefficient, as most of the energy is turned into heat. The temperature
of a wick lamp burning kerosene is about 290 deg.C = 563 K. The energy
at different frequencies is defined by Planck's law, which is can be
simplified using Wein's displacement law (see Wikipedia pages
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck%27s_law>). This suggests that less
than 0.01% of the total radiation from a flame at this temperature is in
the visible spectrum.

A gas lamp burns at a higher temperature (at least 1200 K). The heat is
used with a mantle that uses a rare earth that generates light when
heated. The overall efficiency is still fairly low (perhaps 1 to 3%),
but it is much higher (100 times) than for a kerosene wick lamp.

If you comparing like with like, it would be better to compare a
kerosene pressure lamp with a biogas lamp, as pressure lamps also use
mantles. I do not know how much kerosene a kerosene pressure lamp uses,
but it provides a much better light than a wick lamp.

So your figures are not at all surprising; you need to include overall
efficiency figures when comparing the light from fuels using calorific
values.

Regards,

David

On 16/01/2011 12:34, Franssen, Loe (Alumni) wrote:
> Hey Duncan (and the others),
> thanks for your elaborate answer ! I'm sorry for being unspecific. Let
> me be a bit more specific and take the kerosene conversion rate
> because the information on this one is the most inconsistent.
> Assumptions
> Consumption rate simple wick kerosene lamp; 0,01 liter kerosene per hour
>                          Biogas lamp; 70 liters of gas per hour
> (specifications of the lamp that will be supplied:
> http://kingoni.en.ec21.com/Biogas_Lamp--3003470_3352352.html)
> Lumen output of a simple wick kerosene lamp 7,8 lumen
>                            biogas lamp; 50 lumen (not sure on this
> number as there is a large range for it right?!)
> Calculation
> so 1 liter of kerosene is equivalent to 7000 liter gas. After
> correcting for lumen output, 1 liter of kerosene is equal to *1,077*
> liter of gas
> If i use calorific values i get the following result
>
> 1kilo kerosene = 46 mj/kg with a density of 0,95 kg/l so
>
> 1 liter kerosene = 43,7 mj/l
>
> 1m3 biogas is 22.5mJ
>
> 1 liter biogas = 0,0225 mJ
>
> 1L kerosene = (43.7/0.0225) = *1942,22L* biogas
>
> Quite a difference hm probably because of the lumen i took for the
> biogas lamp and the consumption rates?! do you have recommendations on
> these numbers?
> Then another small question.. for anthracite charcoal i found a
> calorific value of 27mJ/kg, for lignite charcoal 15 mj/kg. I'm talking
> about charcoal that these rural african farmers simply make in their
> backyard. i assume i should take 15 mj/kg then right?! or even less?
> Thanks again!

Dr David Fulford CEnv MEI, 15, Brandon Ave, Woodley, Reading RG5 4PU
d.j.fulford at btinternet.com <mailto:d.j.fulford at btinternet.com>, Tel:
+44(0)118 326 9779 Mob: +44(0)7746 806401
Kingdom Bioenergy Ltd, www.kingdombio.com <http://www.kingdombio.com>,
davidf at kindombio.com <mailto:davidf at kindombio.com>