[Digestion] [Gasification] composition of pyrolysis gas

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:27:49 CST 2011

Dear Dr Karve

Good question! I hope that someone will come through with an exact answer.  Meanwhile, here are some useful comments.

Gasification produces a gas with well known properties and converts essentially all the biomass to a gas of composition

CO 21; H2 19; CH4 5; N2 52; Misc 3 Volume % dry gas basis.

The air/ fuel ratio for gasification is 6/1.  Most of the air is needed to convert the 20 % charcoal to CO, as in

C + 1/2 (O2 + 3.76 N2) ==> CO + 1.9 N2

A/F = 11.4

Zxzxzxzx

For wood pyrolysis, the 20% charcoal does not need to be converted, so

C H1.4 O0.6 ==> 0.4 C + 0.6 "CH2O" +0.1 H2

MW.  23.             4.8.              18.         0.2

The 0.4 C mostly comes from the lignin.  The "CH2O" is the formula for CarboHydrates, the cellulose and hemicellulose components of biomass, but is broken during pyrolysis.  It would be great if it were broken into CO and H2, but that would be very endothermic, so there will be many compounds making up "tar", and water and CO2.

In an effort to collect the tar, I operated our woodgas stove in a pyrolysis mode by putting a 4" elbow over the secondary air holes and attaching a horizontal 4 foot length of water cooled stovepipe.  I did not see any tar, but I collected about 1/2 weight % of the fuel as a soot which probably absorbed the tar.

I hope someone will take a sample of the gas and tell us all the components.

Onward,

Tom Reed

Dr Thomas B Reed
President, The Biomass Energy Foundation
www.Woodgas.com