[Digestion] Fwd: The biology of biogas production

Murali Krishna bmkrishna6 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 22:14:25 CDT 2011

Good day Gasan,

Fixation of CO2.that I was discussing is at fermentation stage.

Krishna

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Gasan Osojnik <gasan.osojnik at gmail.com>wrote:

> I have shared my thoughts on the matter earlyer with dr. Karve, and as this
> debate has gotten some mettel on this list, I am posting my reply here,
> likewise.
>
> The biochemistry of biogas production dictates that CO2 and CH4 must be
> produced simultaneously to achieve stable operation. The product CO2/CH4
> ratio is governed by the type of substrates used. There are two main
> pathways (also some others that are currently regarded as exceptions & less
> important) of biochemical pathways, that result in biogas:
>
> - acetoclastic pathway (acetic acid is decarboylized to methane and carbon
> dioxide)
> - hydrogenotrophic pathway (hydrogen and carbon dioxide are utilized to
> form methane alone)
>
> As both these processes are are mutually dependable on the other one, CH4
> and CO2 must be formed together, or none at all. An e disturbance in theeither one of these processes results in
> the condition which I'm sure we are all familiar with, t.i. theacidification of
> the reaction. The amount of H+ in the broth becomes easily toxic to
> acetoclastic methanogens, therefore in a stable process, all the H+ must
> react with the dissolved carbonate, and the carbonate that remains is
> therefore the source of final CO2 in the biogas.
>
> Further on, regarding the CO2 fixation from the gas phase above the
> fermentation broth (e.g. in digesters equipped with  floating drum,
> inflatable cover and similar); the methane ration in the "headspace" does
> not affect the level of methane production, as the amount of the methane
> that is made is governed by the biochemical properties of the substrate.
> Also, methane is poorly soluble in water , so there is no physiochemical
> mechanisma that would neable the microorganisms to "know" what the methane
> content in the produced biogas is.
>
> Interesting mechanism described by Khrishna, are you refering to the CO2
> fixation from the gas phase (biogas) or from the liquid phase (fermentation
> broth itself)?
>
> I remember some systems were proposed, where the CO2 formed due to methane
> combustion in the cogeneration plant would be purged through the
> fermnetation broth to achieve higher methane yields, but I have no knowledge
> if any commercial applications of this exist.
>
> Also, I think, there is the general problem of carbon dioxide that must be
> addressed, as we must start to view the produced CO2 as a product and not
> as an impurity. A vast amount of biochemical energy is used to produce
> carbon dioxide in the biological process, so by utilizing the produced CO2
> rather than discarding it, the energy efficiency of such processes could be
> considerably increased. E.g. the  biogas plants can be could be coupled to
> greenhouses to enhance the productivity of plants. Similarly, there are
> attempts being made, to flue gases from biogas co-generation units to feed
> [...]

B.Murali Krishna| Chairman| Village Vision Bio-Power Pvt.Ltd |17-1-380/E/11|
Second Floor|ChandraComplex|I.S.Sadan|Saidabad|
Hyderabad|500059|AndhraPradesh|India| Ph:+91-40-24333333/24333355/24333555|
E-Mail:chairman at vvi.co.in| Web:www.vvi.co.co.in