[Digestion] Digestate as fertilizer.

Jean-Luc Sallustro jean-luc.sallustro at eventure-international.com
Mon Jul 4 02:05:03 CDT 2011

Dear Anand,

I am really interested by this vision of sugar nutrient cycle.
Let me say first that even if I am from Europe, (you are right on this
point) my group is in Mauritius, and then involved with sugar cane
agronomy (or other Poacae)
Sure that cellulose is a kind of sugar ... but strongly polymerized, at
a point that the only bacterial strain enabling its degradation is
aerobic and particularly thermophilic.
Soils macro decomposers such as colemboles or worms alternatively or
complementary play a role within this decomposition stage of cellulose
and hemicellulosis.
What seems to me of utmost interest in your assessment is that sugar (I
assume you are considering raw sugar ?) provides for direct enhancement
of soil fertility (when bring with organic N) for the reason that this
immediately available energy positively stresses bacterial flora (but
which strains in particular ?) and then allows the production of mineral
nutrients to reach the plants depending on export demands (Poacae are C4
type and therefore strongly dependant from photocycles and water
availability).
The way different +/- polymerized sugars reach the soil is a well known
thing, but what's about humus role (even as thin it seems ... there is
always an upper layer of biomass on the 0 to 15 cm depth of soils), and
what is happening as an interaction between microbial activity in this
superior soil level, sugar solution (rain fed context) and other N
linked bacterial strains ?
My hypothesis was that there is a risk of demobilisation of these
endemic bacterial strains, maybe one can put the question like this
"when stopping "sugar feeding" what will happen with organic N, P and K
availability ?"
All the best
Jean-Luc