[Digestion] Information about subscriber

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 03:11:12 CDT 2011

Dear Mr. Ellingsen,
one puts organic substances into the soil primarily as food for the soil
microbes, so that they increase their numbers. All agronomists agree that
there exists a direct positive correlation between the population density
of microbes in the soil and soil fertility. Therefore, one must feed them
with high calorie organic matter and not with compost that has very low
calorific value. As far as biogas slurry is concerned, its value as
nutrition to the soil microbes would depend on the feedstock that originally
went into the biogas plant. If it was human food, it would get completely
converted into methane and carbon dioxide, and the residue would hardly
contain any organic matter that would serve the soil micro-organisms as
food. If the feedstock were dung of cattle, which had received leafy biomass
as feed, the slurry would mainly consist of lignin arising from the midribs
and veins. Application of such a slury to a field would cause the lignin
digesting fungi to multiply in the soil. One can of course look at biogas
slurry as a source of inorganic nutrients, but in that case, one would have
to apply fairly large quantities of slurry to match the quantities of NPK
that a crop needs. A back-of-the-envelop calculation shows that one must
compost the biomass from about 10 ha to provide one ha with the necessary
NPK.
Yours
A.D.Karve