[Digestion] TEDx crowdsourcing/call for abstracts (Steve Verhey)

Steve Verhey verheys at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 21 14:01:51 CDT 2011

If anyone finds this discussion off-topic or annoying, my apologies for igniting it. That was not my intent. Someone on another list pointed out that my use of the word "deniers" is emotionally charged, and I should have used more neutral language. Maybe that explains some of the testiness we've seen here; again, my apologies.

Science is the management of uncertainty, and there's plenty of uncertainty in the area of climate change research. Honest scientific assessments have to be respected and considered, whether or not they agree with the dominant hypothesis. (I do think it would be best if no one cited Al Gore in discussions of the science, particularly since his film is over 5 years old.)

Actually, my original post doesn't require global climate change to be caused by humans, or even to really be happening. The idea is, imagine that global climate change is happening, and that there is little or nothing that we can or will do to stop it. Then what? Wouldn't it be a good idea to practice thinking about it?

Effectively everyone -- even, I think, Lindzer -- in the scientific world accepts that change is happening. The disagreements start with discussions of possible causes of and/or efforts to slow or stop the change. But, considering how large the effects of climate change will be (if it is happening) it only makes sense to spend some time thinking about those effects. I trust no one here objects this goal.

Other comments are accumulating at the blog. Feel free to move this discussion over there, if the list prefers not to continue it here.

Thanks,

Steve