[Digestion] AD for cow manure

Rex Zietsman rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Sat Jun 11 02:54:40 CDT 2011

Brent,

This is the kind of advice I was hoping for with my plea. Can you elaborate
on what the purpose is and how the sand trap works? If I understand you
correctly, it will capture the solids and hold them in the inlet pit
filtering the liquid through. Then, if I understand you correctly,  you
suggest we use some kind of agitator to keep the solids in suspension
allowing them to break up over time? A hand sketch or description would be
of great help.

What about heating of the lagoon? Would you preheat at the inlet and then
leave the lagoon to do its thing? How do you clean the lagoon? I am assuming
if you only allow the FFA in water to get into the lagoon, this will only
happen very infrequently...

Thanks for the great advice
Rex

"Suggest you place a sand trap at the inlet and make the pit deep at the
inlet. You might want to consider using one of the many methods to disperse
the solids if using cow manure.
Covered lagoons have proven to be the most cost effective for us. AG Star
has a lot of systems they have helped get started.
Brent"