[Digestion] Small Scale Farm Digesters

M Bywater hotwaterweb at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 20:50:32 CDT 2011

Hi,

It has taken some time for me to post this, but here is the Royal Agricultural Society of England's (RASE) report on small scale UK on-farm digesters that we talked about earlier this year. There is a long version which contains all the case studies ( http://www.rase.org.uk/what-we-do/core-purpose-agricultural-work/AD-Full-Report.pdf ) and a shorter version which talks about barriers and benefits ( http://www.rase.org.uk/what-we-do/core-purpose-agricultural-work/AD-Short-Report.pdf )

Several of the AD systems proved particularly interesting. One was a self-built system which topped up the digester heat using thermal solar. The farm was a virtual showpiece for renewable energy, having solar PV, ground source heat pump, a wind turbine, thermal solar and  a digester! (Case study 10.4)

A second, which had been running for more than two years, had automated de-gritting, so that cows could be bedded on sand or ash. It used a very low parasitic load on the mixing (typically about 1W/m3) and had an elevated belt press separator. (Case study 10.5)

A third had a three-tank system which produced wonderful digestate and did gas scrubbing in a covered post-store. (Case study 10.9)

I hope those of you who were interested in the report enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed talking to the farmers and putting it together!

Kind regards,

Angie Bywater