[Digestion] Orange Peels

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Fri Jun 24 02:05:22 CDT 2011

Hello Tom,

A few years ago, I had a student looking at the digestion of orange peel on a
lab scale. The essential oil that Anand Karve talks aboiut is limonene, which is
a mild insecticide and bacteriacide. With large quantities of orange peel,
limonene is worth extracting, as it has a commercial value. It can be used as a
cleaning agent as well, as it dissolves grease.

In small quantities, orange peel could be digested if mixed with other materials.

Oranges do rot, so the limonene can be degraded. One approach may be to allow
the peels to rot down aerobically before they are added to a biogas plant. The
addition of already rotting oranges would ensure the right fungi/microbes are
present. Chopping up the peel would help the limonene to evaporate, as it has a fairly
low molecular weight (C10H16).

--
Best regards,
 David
  mailto:davidf at kingdombio.com

--
Best regards,
 David
  mailto:davidf at kingdombio.com
Dr David Fulford CEnv MEI, 15, Brandon Ave, Woodley, Reading RG5 4PU
d.j.fulford at btinternet.com, Tel: +44(0)118 326 9779 Mob: +44(0)7746 806401
Kingdom Bioenergy Ltd, www.kingdombio.com, davidf at kindombio.com