[Digestion] [Stoves] [biochar] Orange Peels

Vianney Tumwesige trustvianney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 09:22:37 CDT 2011

Hey Tom,

I have been doing a course on TLUD with Dr. TLUD! Are you experience with a
TLUD? Orange peels (thick) have been used in Haiti, however, someone has to
have experience in using a TLUD. One also needs to co-fire them with another
woody material.

All the best

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:

> All,****
>
> ** **
>
> Many thanks for the all of the generous suggestions regarding orange peels.
> We’ll compile them and put them on the websites while we determine what is
> most suitable for the particular application in Southern Africa. ****
>
> ** **
>
> I have to admit that when I last looked at a pile of orange peels (in
> Brazil) I wasn’t thinking of how they could be used. It certainly looks like
> at sufficient scale the limonene may be worth recovering.  At smaller scales
> management (rotting) or use (briquetting, drying, charring) of the peel also
> seems to have potential. Pigs and chickens would also probably recycle the
> peel, or make enough of a mess to be incorporated in compost or soil.
> Feeding to birds with char is not high on my list unless there is a health
> benefit. Usually the object is to increase weight gain my increasing intake
> rather than reduce intake with a low density material like char.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> Regards,****
>
> ** **
>
> Tom  ****
>
> ** **

Vianney Tumwesige
Director - Green Heat (U) Ltd  [image: Picture]
P.O. Box 10235
Kampala-Uganda
256 (0) 71 237 9889

"The more people are self sufficient in cooking fuel, the more personal and
financial freedom they have." - Emma Casson

 <http://trustvianney.wordpress.com/>