[Digestion] Environmentalists Anti-AD Issues

Randy Mott randymott at ceeres.eu
Tue Jun 28 02:45:55 CDT 2011

Mr. McNelly,

We are doing centralized co-digestion facilities in Poland with Danish know-how. The wet AD process and local use of 5% Total Solid digestate works very well in Denmark and meets all of the market requirements we see in Poland. The EU imposes a requirement that farmers have storage for manure, so the biogas storage works well for them. We do provide storage and assist in application, but this is still a small cost compared to processing digestate. Presumably you are getting money for the dry compost/digestate material, otherwise it is hard to see how the business model can work. Until there is a corresponding income for the digestate, we don’t see how processing it in any fashion can work. We are evaluating it at one location in Poland, but frankly the rest of the project will have to be very profitable to cover the cost on the back-end. With 11 Euro cent per kWhr, I doubt that it is feasible. What is your cost per ton to process and your revenue per processed ton?

When phosphorous prices go up and the value of digestate goes up, the market may change. We operate in an agricultural market where organic waste is regularly used by farmers, sometimes whether it is legal or not. Thus, selling a waste-derived fertilizer is a steep, uphill battle.

Randy Mott

CEERES

Warsaw