[Digestion] Environmentalists Anti-AD Issues

Alan Muller amuller at dca.net
Wed Jun 29 00:38:31 CDT 2011

Well, on the original point, what I've seen in Minnesota is some
enviro types cheerleading for AD in a rather uninformed way, as if
this is their latest enthusiasm in a long line including corn
ethanol, "biomass" burning, etc.  Others, of course, are concerned
that proposed projects wouldn't be good neighbors.

The interest is sometimes connected to improved organics management,
but more usually to the--typically insignificant--electricity or
"biogas" production.  Rarely are people thinking much about the fate
of the digestate.  The investors and "economic development" types are
mostly interested in harvesting some of the various incentives
associated with "renewable energy."  They, and the politicians, are
confused by the plethora of folk peddling magic bullet solutions to
energy and materials management problems.  It matters not,
apparently, that almost all of these ignore basic principles of
chemistry and thermodynamics we all supposedly learnt in high school.

Overall, an amusing but not very productive scene.....

am