[Digestion] Fwd: The biology of biogas production

Gasan Osojnik gasan.osojnik at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 00:44:29 CDT 2011

 I have shared my thoughts on the matter earlyer with dr. Karve, and as this
debate has gotten some mettel on this list, I am posting my reply here,
likewise.

The biochemistry of biogas production dictates that CO2 and CH4 must be
produced simultaneously to achieve stable operation. The product CO2/CH4
ratio is governed by the type of substrates used. There are two main
pathways (also some others that are currently regarded as exceptions & less
important) of biochemical pathways, that result in biogas:

- acetoclastic pathway (acetic acid is decarboylized to methane and carbon
dioxide)
- hydrogenotrophic pathway (hydrogen and carbon dioxide are utilized to form
methane alone)

As both these processes are are mutually dependable on the other one, CH4
and CO2 must be formed together, or none at all. An disturbance in
theeither one of these processes results in
the condition which I'm sure we are all familiar with, t.i. theacidification of
the reaction. The amount of H+ in the broth becomes easily toxic to
acetoclastic methanogens, therefore in a stable process, all the H+ must
react with the dissolved carbonate, and the carbonate that remains is
therefore the source of final CO2 in the biogas.

Further on, regarding the CO2 fixation from the gas phase above the
fermentation broth (e.g. in digesters equipped with  floating drum,
inflatable cover and similar); the methane ration in the "headspace" does
not affect the level of methane production, as the amount of the methane
that is made is governed by the biochemical properties of the substrate.
Also, methane is poorly soluble in water , so there is no physiochemical
mechanisma that would neable the microorganisms to "know" what the methane
content in the produced biogas is.

Interesting mechanism described by Khrishna, are you refering to the CO2
fixation from the gas phase (biogas) or from the liquid phase (fermentation
broth itself)?

I remember some systems were proposed, where the CO2 formed due to methane
combustion in the cogeneration plant would be purged through the
fermnetation broth to achieve higher methane yields, but I have no knowledge
if any commercial applications of this exist.

Also, I think, there is the general problem of carbon dioxide that must be
addressed, as we must start to view the produced CO2 as a product and not as
an impurity. A vast amount of biochemical energy is used to produce carbon
dioxide in the biological process, so by utilizing the produced CO2 rather
than discarding it, the energy efficiency of such processes could be
considerably increased. E.g. the  biogas plants can be could be coupled to
greenhouses to enhance the productivity of plants. Similarly, there are
attempts being made, to flue gases from biogas co-generation units to feed
the algae plantations. Further on, a wast scientific community is quite
successful in researching new ways to catalytically transform ch4 and co2 to
synthesis gas or similar intermediates, that can be further transformed to
various high-value chemicals.

BR from SI, Gasan