[Digestion] energy calculations

Kshanika Goonesekera KshanikaG at masholdings.com
Thu Mar 3 21:51:20 CST 2011

Hi all,

I've got a proposal for a biogas plant at our textile factory in Sri Lanka. I need to verify the energy per day to assess the feasibility of this project.
The contractors propose a 90m3 plant (comprising of 3 tanks - 60m3, 20m3 and 10m3) for a daily input of 450kg of food waste from the canteen.

My question is will this plant supply enough gas to cover the present LPG consumption?

Present LPG consumption in the kitchen:

 cylinders per day

3

cylinders per month

60

Gas weight per cylinder

37.5

kg

Energy requirement per day

4,950

MJ/kg

food waste

450

kg/day

Assuming a food:biogas of 1:1,  450m3 of biogas will be produced per day. Of which 60% is CH4 hence, energy obtained = 13,500MJ/day (calorific value of CH4 taken as 50.09MJ/m3)

However, calculating the energy obtained using the equation below and taking 15% of the food waste as Carbon content,
Coe/Co = 0.014T + 0.28

Gives the energy per day as 3,763MJ/day
Which of these values am I to trust?

Thanks and regards