[Digestion] Life of a Fixed dome digester

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Mon Mar 7 03:05:54 CST 2011

Vianney and listers, Hello,

The oldest masonry digesters in Nepal were built in 1980. I think most
are still running. They uses a concrete dome, so is different from the
Deenbandhu design that is built from bricks. BSP Nepal
(http://www.bspnepal.org.np/) have follow-up studies on their plants and
also have drawings and photographs of plants with latrines connected.

There is a good report on a biogas plant with a connected latrine by
EAWAG in Switzerland:
http://www.eawag.ch/forschung/sandec/publikationen/swm/dl/biogas.pdf
<http://www.eawag.ch/forschung/sandec/publikationen/swm/dl/biogas.pdf>.
The plant is a plastic model, but it shows the value of the approach. It
also looks at the destruction of pathogens.

The effluent is not 100% safe. Chinese studies suggest that the pathogen
reduction is high, many pathogens are reduced by about 98% or more. In
India and China, the attitude is that AD is much better than the
alternative: i.e. people depositing faeces directly on fields or in
water courses.

Best wishes,

David F

On 27/02/2011 03:51, Vianney Tumwesige wrote:
> Dear AD friends;
>
> I hope all is well with everyone. Yes, I was asked recently, what is
> the lifespan of a fixed dome digester? I have been involved with
> biogas for 4 years and all me projects are under 4 years old. It will
> be good to know the oldest fixed dome digester (if possible, provide a
> link).
>
> If human manure is used as a primary feedstock, what happens to the
> end product (slurry/digestate)? Is it 100% safe to handle? Have all
> the pathogens been broken down which is the only downside of using
> human manure?
>
> Do you have an archetechural drawing of a biogas digester (fixed dome)
> connected to a latrine (toilet)?
>
> Thanks and have a brighter Sunday

Dr David Fulford CEnv MEI, 15, Brandon Ave, Woodley, Reading RG5 4PU
d.j.fulford at btinternet.com <mailto:d.j.fulford at btinternet.com>, Tel:
+44(0)118 326 9779 Mob: +44(0)7746 806401
Kingdom Bioenergy Ltd, www.kingdombio.com <http://www.kingdombio.com>,
davidf at kindombio.com <mailto:davidf at kindombio.com>