[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 7, Issue 10

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Mar 21 18:46:58 CDT 2011

G'day Elamin,

As this is an international list we have Spanish, German, French and a
number of other languages represented (I shamefully admit to being
practically monolingual myself, but have a smattering of schoolboy French
and a little Spanish, from practice), so your English is no problem.

Biogas production is regarded as a series of steps, with complex organic
matter broken down into simpler molecules by hydrolysis, followed by
acidogenesis until you get fatty acids like acetic acid which is then used
by methanogens to form methane (there is also another methane path from
carbon dioxide and hydrogen, by different bacteria). I guess you could say
that simple molecules like glucose degrade first, as the more complex
molecules have to go through the glucose stage.

You could try http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/ or
http://biogas.wikispaces.com/ for some initial information, or you may find
some non English sources easier to understand (if you find something good
let me know - I am aware of some Spanish and German resources, but not much
else).

Happy Digesting,
HOOROO

Mr. Paul Harris, Room 202 Charles Hawker Building, Faculty of Sciences, The
University of Adelaide, Waite Campus, PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064 Ph    : +61
8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386
mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains
information that may be confidential and/or copyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient please notify the sender by reply email and immediately
delete this email. Use, disclosure or reproduction of this email by anyone
other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. No
representation is made that this email or any attachments are free of
viruses. Virus scanning is recommended and is the responsibility of the
recipient.