[Digestion] Silicones, siloxanes and the like

Duncan Martin duncanjmartin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 05:58:42 CDT 2011

Les & all

I think silica in plant tissues is mainly present as silica or silicate.
These are non-volatile inorganic compounds, so they don't evaporate or
digest. That means they end up in the digestate - just like soil particles
(which also contain silica or silicates) - not in the biogas. So there's no
problem, provided your digester is designed to prevent the build-up of grit,
mud etc - either by ensuring very good mixing to keep all solids in
suspension or by allowing for (at least intermittent) removal of sludge from
the lowest level of the digester.

Any digester fed with solid agri-products or by products should be so
designed - or its effective volume will gradually reduce, perhaps to near
zero - because grit, soil, mud etc are inevitable contaminants in the
feedstock. Even small amounts will build up over the years.

*(I think I once posted a report here on a digester treating pharmaceutical
wastes that was found to be ~90% full of a crystalline deposit, with 'rat
holes' linking the feed and discharge pipes to a small cavity around the -
inadequate - stirrer. With the working capacity reduced to the 10% of design
represented by that cavity, it was no surprise that the performance of the
digester had fallen off dramatically over the years it took for the deposit
in question to build up. Not quite the same problem - but a good
illustration of how bad things can get!)*

Burning is a very different process from AD, not only because of much higher
temperatures but also because of the physical disruption of the feedstock/
fuel. Silicon compounds are likely to be oxidized to silica (i.e. sand) and
there may also be carry-over of silica-based fines from soil etc in the
feedstock. That's what ended up on their fire tubes. It could occur with any
fuel - but the problem will be much greater with a silica-rich fuel (eg
anything grass-like, including straw or miscanthus) than with other fuels,
such as wood.

So there's no comparison between the behaviour of miscanthus in a furnace
and in a digester.

Duncan Martin
Cloughjordan Ecovillage
County Tipperary