[Digestion] Green Energy Testbed

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 10:37:47 CDT 2011

Dear Jonathan,
at least in urban India, the digestible waste generated by a family
amounts to hardly a kiligram per day. It is not enough to satisfy all
the cooking energy needs of a family. We provide household baogas
plants to individual families but warn them that they would still need
some other source of energy in the form of LPG, natural gas, kerosene
or electricity to supplement the biogas.  A community biogas plant is
feasible in a condominium, but we found that it was not possible to
provide individual families with biogas from the community biogas
plant, because there were disputes about the quantity of biogas used
by each user. We advocate using the biogas from a community biogas
plant for a common purpose, like charging the batteris of the lifts,
pumping water from the underground tank to the overhead tank, or for
lighting the common areas like parking areas, stair cases, corridors
etc. With the new LED technology, relatively less enery is used up in
lighting.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM,  <jonathan at bmpconsultants.com> wrote:
> I'm currently working on a residential/commercial development of 300
> residential units and a research park.  The focus of the development is to
> have an internal utility grid where green energy as well as waste disposal
> technologies can be tested in a controlled environment.  The design will
> allow for testing of single-family, multi-family or commercial units
> individually or up to the entire grid or portions thereof.
>
> At this point, I have fielded many questions concerning the number and mix
> of the units within the grid.  I used standard municipal utility numbers to
> arrive at the unit counts.  I have now been getting feedback that just 300
> units would not provide enough data to be scalable to a municipal level.
> Then I've also been getting the naysayers, doubting the viability of the
> project as a whole...
>
> I would very much appreciate any thoughts or feedback.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)