[Digestion] Karve connecting Biochar and Biogas

Duncan Martin duncanjmartin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:27:55 CDT 2011

How quickly does biochar boost biogas output? This would give some clues as
to whether biochar acts mainly as a biomass support. That is certainly a
very plausible mechanism - but it's not the only possibility.

An alternative mechanism for a biochar boost is its huge capacity to absorb
any inhibitors. This would probably give the process a rapid
boost, increasing the biogas output within a few days - or even hours. On
the other hand, microbial colonization of the extra surface would take many
days - and would probably take weeks to effect a major increase in biogas
output.

And, of course, biochar *could* improve a low C:N ratio, not by adding extra
C but by removing excess N.

Another question is whether extra biomass-support material would *always* be
of value. In a feedstock containing a lot of solids (eg manure or biomass
crops), there is already a lot of surface available for colonization by
biomass, so I suspect that one would need to add a high % of biochar to make
much difference. And too a high % of biochar would make the mixture
difficult to handle.

In contrast, biochar might have much more effect with a wholly soluble
feedstock - partly because residence times are likely to be lower.

So, *does *anyone have  rate data?

Duncan Martin
Ireland