[Digestion] Giant reed (arundo donax) digestion

Les Gornall Les.Gornall at projen.co.uk
Fri Sep 23 13:19:05 CDT 2011

Good question!  The reed is unique in it's ability to lock silicon into its stem tissues.  That's why it is used for making oboe reeds.  When digested the silicone would most likely be expresses as siloxanes in the Biogas.  But I have not seen any data.  Good research project for someone.  I would think phragmites Australis would be a better bet.  You can grow the latter in a reed bed on the final effluent. The resulting effluent would be crystal clear and the productivity of the reed bed very high.  Hmmmmm :-).

Les. Gornall