[Digestion] Silicones, siloxanes and the like

aclark at pennpowersystems.com aclark at pennpowersystems.com
Fri Sep 30 11:27:01 CDT 2011

For what its worth one thing we are seeing in certain areas is some level
of siloxanes in biogas applications where industrial grade detergents are
used for washing down of areas and flow into the biogas feedstock.

Duncan Martin <duncanjmartin at gmail.com>
Sent by: digestion-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
09/30/2011 12:23 PM
Please respond to
For Discussion of Anaerobic Digestion <digestion at lists.bioenergylists.org>

david at h4c.org, For Discussion of Anaerobic Digestion
<digestion at lists.bioenergylists.org>
cc

Subject
[Digestion] Silicones, siloxanes and the like

There's a common confusion here - a familiar one between chemical
substances with similar-sounding names.......

Just as alkanes (eg methane, propane, hexane and all the paraffin family)
are not remotely related to alkalis (eg caustic soda and similar metal
hydroxides), so silicon (a non-metallic element) is only distantly related
to the silicone, siloxane and other synthetic compounds that can cause
minor problems in landfill gas and the digestion of municipal wastes.

Broadly speaking, silicon is commonly found in plants (esp grasses) in the
form of silica (silicon oxide) and in many minerals as silica (eg sand) or
silicates. These materials aren't digestible, so they cause no problems in
biogas. They may accumulate in your digester or cause wear of moving parts
- but many other minerals can do the same. Good design should deal with
such issues easily enough.

Silicones, siloxanes etc are fairly exotic synthetic compounds used in
small quantities (usually) in many modern products - ranging from
cosmetics via sealants to breast implants. They resemble organic
(carbon-based) compounds but with the carbon replaced by silicon. They
commonly include hydrogen and oxygen as well as silicon - and maybe other
elements too.

When these compounds get into any kind of digestion system, traces can end
up in the biogas - and when they burn, they form silica. Sand, in effect.
In a heating application, this shouldn't be a huge problem. However, in
any kind of gas engine used for electricity generation, the effect is
similar to regularly slipping a few grains of sand into the fuel tank of
your car. Not good for engine life!

It follows that silicon compounds would not be expected in the biogas
produced from the digestion of crops, manures and other natural
substrates, even if the feedstock is high in silica etc.

Moral 1: don't worry about silica!
Moral 2: read the names of chemicals with care - and don't guess about
relationships!!
Moral 3: remember that tabloid reporters who write about aspiring starlets
getting "silicon" implants probably ended up in that job because they
failed Science 1.01!!!

Duncan Martin
Cloughjordan Ecovillage
Ireland