[Digestion] Well balanced co-feedstocks and fertiliser for coffee grounds

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 19:57:29 CDT 2012

Dear Wayne,
We have perfected the technology of using green leaves as feedstock in a
biogas plant, and we are now cultivating fast growing leafy plants as
energy crop. You need pig manure or cattle dung only at the start. Once the
biogas plant starts producing biogas, just add the green leafy material
after running it through a chaff cutter. 10 kg green leaves would yield
about 1 cubic meter biogas ( about 1.25 kg biogas containing about 440 g
methane). 10cu.m. digester would readily accept daily about 150 kg green
leaves. On dry weight basis, green leaves have digestibility of about 40 to
50%. The undigestible part consists mainly of midribs and veins which
consist of lignin. After dewatering, it can be briquetted by using a simple
briquette extruder and used as furnace fuel. The effluent water can be
recycled or used as fertilizer. You can digest paper, sugarbeet residue,
rotten or misshapen fruits and vegetables, peels of fruits like banana,
papaya, mango etc. in the same digester. Please remember that the microbes
in the biogas plant need minerals just as plants and animals. So it is
rational to recycle the water coming out of the biogas plant. That is also
the reason why paper should not be used alone.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Wayne Zschech <
waynezschech at calvarychapel.com> wrote:

> G'day all!
>
> I'd like advice as to what could be used as co-feedstock(s) together with
> used coffee grounds. Also the proportions of the daily inputs. We have a
> 10m3 reactor that will be operating at 35oC. The coffee grounds will be
> available all year round.
> We'll have plenty of grass and weeds during the summer. We are expecting
> cabbage (and maybe onion) waste in the winter.
> The is pig manure available but do I need much of it? Paper waste is also
> a possibility and I could organise some canteen/kitchen waste.  The is a
> short season with sugar beet waste is available.
>
> We are also wanting to supply local vegetable growers with the liquid
> fertiliser.  So, what do we need a minimum as a feedstock to produce a
> quality (or reasonable quality) fertiliser?  Potatoes, carrots, onions,
> tomatoes, cucumbers and beetroots are the main cultures grow.
>
> Thank you. As always, your input is appreciated.
> Blessings,
> Wayne

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)