[Digestion] dry digestion

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 20:34:53 CST 2012

Food waste can be assumed to have about 50% moisture and grass and leaves
can have 70 to 80% moisture. This mixture can ferment and produce
methane in the presence of methanogens, without addition of water. We have
tested it by filling it into 200 litre barrels, which were sealed after
filling. The system works like a miniature land fill pit, giving a small
quantity of gas every day, for about 3 to 4 months.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 4:15 AM, Wayne Zschech <
waynezschech at calvarychapel.com> wrote:

> G'day all!
>
> Greetings from very frozen Ukraine!
>
> Does anyone have any experience in using dry digestion?  I am planning on
> using food waste and grass, leaves etc. I am hoping to avoid adding water
> which creates a very diluted fertilizer and I presume that there would be
> an increases in energy consumption of trying to keep (or reheat) all that
> liquid in a low solid system.
> I really like the OWS Dranco type of configuration. I have been told that
> the thermophilic reaction is more unstable in general but maybe someone
> still has a working model that is simple enough to run on small scale or
> around 20-25m3.  I am happy to do a multistage process if I can get a more
> concentrated NPK product.
>
> Please share any info that may be beneficial.
> Blessings,
> Wayne

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)