[Digestion] Fwd: After the Tank - pathogens

David david at h4c.org
Sun Feb 19 17:27:34 CST 2012

Rose,

On 2/19/2012 2:23 PM, envirowagg at comcast.net wrote:
> Has anyone digested carnivore manure and tested the remaining
> material for canine pathogens (Coccidia, Biardia, Hookworms, Parvo
> Virus, Roundworms and Whipworms)?  Would the microbes take care of
> these critters?  We are interested in developing and installing a
> small module to accommodate waste at dog parks
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBnXx-CMSo&feature=player_embedded
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBnXx-CMSo&feature=player_embedded>.
> Pick-up bags would be made of paper or anaerobically digestible film.

There is a lot of literature on the safety of effluent. Basically, at
ordinary mesophilic temps, destruction of most pathogens requires very
long retention times-- months. (Parasites are more susceptible to
mesophilic digestion.) At thermophilic temps-- comparable to the
temperature inside an active compost pile-- anaerobic digestion can
destroy pathogens at more ordinary retention times.

Of course, as well, rather than use a word like "destroy", which
implies a complete absence of the offending organisms, a more
scientific parlance would be to speak of reduction by factors of ten,
to levels that are considered safe, even if some members of the
species in question are still present.

Regardless, at least in my view, the effluent should not be used on
land where food is grown, and it would be safest if the liquid
effluent is buried and the de-watered effluent is composted.

There is, to my knowledge, only one paper extant on using dog manure
to produce biogas: Comparatiw Study of the Potential of Dog Waste for
Biogas Production, by Okomigwe et al, out of Nigeria.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/