[Digestion] 5000 dairy cow AD system

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Jan 8 23:51:30 CST 2012

G'day Rex,

Apparently a lot of the biogas comes from the fines/solutes in the liquid -
I noticed that with piggery effluent the raw effluent was almost impermeable
to water (it would hold puddles for quite a while) but after treatment the
solids were pretty free draining (water disappeared in minutes).

I will also raise my usual point in favour of distributed systems - why not
put smaller (cheaper!) digesters at each farm and if necessary pipe the
biogas to a central generator (depending on distance)? You will be spending
a lot of energy on trucking waste in and then you have to truck the
digestate out from the central facility again. The total capital cost may be
higher, with more units to maintain, but you can start with one or two and
spread the finances out a bit as well as helping local employment (I guess
people will be working on digesters instead of driving trucks!).

Happy digesting,

HOOROO

--

Mr. Paul Harris, Room 202, Charles Hawker Building

Faculty of Sciences, The  University of Adelaide, Waite Campus,

PMB 1, Glen Osmond SA 5064

Ph    : +61 8 8303 7880      Fax   : +61 8 8303 4386

mailto:paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/directory/paul.harris

CRICOS Provider Number 00123M

and contains information which may be confidential and/or

copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please

do not read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents

of this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,

please notify the sender by reply email and delete this

email and any copies or links to this email completely and

immediately from your system.  No representation is made

that this email is free of viruses.  Virus scanning is