[Digestion] 5000 dairy cow AD system

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Mon Jan 9 09:43:29 CST 2012

I concur on Paul's preference for smaller systems.  I have seen a handful
of proposals based on trucking waste from a number of small to medium farms
where they have tried to show energy balance (all the trucks are methane
powered, etc.), but the numbers never add up.  Specifically, de-watering
this waste requires relatively well developed systems at each site, and
likely still leaves you with a serious amount of waste water treatment for
each site to achieve healthy discharge levels (in Mexico it is the water,
not the solids that is the treatment challenge).  The management system is
also more complex and requires a high level of coordination.  The
alternative de-centralized option will likely have similar initial capital
costs, but you can make a better case for farmer investment as they will
reap the benefits.  You then have much smaller long-term operating costs,
and all that energy for trucking can go to good use (or maybe still
trucking some effluent fertilizer to local fields).  As Paul mentioned, the
option to eventually pipe gas a larger distance for centralized use is an
option that may make sense (but I have not seen it outside of the European
context or large landfill gas context yet).

Cheers

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa
IRRI-Mexico