[Digestion] plastic pipework

Chandler chandlerhatton at simgas.org
Mon Mar 5 11:19:02 CST 2012

Hi all,

I am working to implement biogas in East Africa, and I’m curious about
whether there is a preferred plastic polymer for use in plastic biogas
pipework. Most affordable, readily available plastic pipes and fittings are
made from PVC (polyvinylchloride), PE (polyethylene), or PP (polypropylene).

   - Is one of these materials better than the other two for use in gas
   lines?  And is there a material that should be avoided for use in biogas
   pipework (i.e. due to chemical corrosion, UV damage, or creep?)

   - In particular, I am concerned about the accumulation of white
   (silica?) deposits in biogas pipework. Does the use of plastic piping
   reduce the buildup of this white substance? And very specifically, does
   this white substance accumulate on PP fittings?

Any thoughts on these two questions are very much appreciated.

Thanks,
 Chandler