[Digestion] Biogas production

Alastair James Ward Alastair.Ward at agrsci.dk
Wed Nov 14 03:05:11 CST 2012

Dear A.D. Karve,

I disagree that manure only consists of lignin, mucus and microorganisms. There is a lot of digestible but undigested protein, fat and carbohydrate in manure, not to mention a high concentration of fatty acids which are just one or two steps in the biological pathway away from methane production. It is not disputed that plant material usually produces more biogas than manure, but I think that you have to stand back and consider what factors are most important to the very varied users of this list. I live in northern Europe in a country with a high animal density. It has been calculated that if we could collect all manure produced, all organic wastes available and use all non-food producing land for energy crop production and put it all into biogas plants, we would still not make a very large impact on the national energy requirement (sorry but I forget the exact figures). However, we view anaerobic digestion as a method of treating wastes, with the recycling of nitrogen and phosphorous being of great importance. The fact that we can produce energy is a nice bonus that (hopefully) makes the whole process financially feasible. Burning manure is not a realistic option here. As an example, we produce in excess of 20 million fattening pigs every year, in a country of less than 6 million people. As a result, we have a lot of wet manure to deal with and anaerobic digestion is widely viewed as the best available technology to do so. Pig manure has a low dry matter content so the energy input necessary for drying, not to mention space to do so and any other issues regarding odour emissions etc makes the drying and burning of wet manures impractical. We also want to keep the N to put back into the soil and thus reduce the need for artificial fertiliser and the non-degradable carbohydrates in digestate are useful in maintaining soil carbon levels.
As I understand, the original post was not from a northern European country but there are still many advantages to anaerobically digesting manure in warmer climates. Biogas is certainly a cleaner and more flexible fuel than dry material for burning, the fact that one can quite easily run lights and a small generator on biogas being major advantages. I came across a paper a couple of years ago that suggested the increased use of AD in preference to burning of organic material could be linked to an improvement in the health of people in rural Indian communities, specifically eye problems due to smoke as I remember.
Please, consider the motives of the people posting on this list before you tell us that we are wasting our time digesting manure. If Kyle has manure available I suggest he continues to use it in his digester, the low yield can be compensated for by having a large supply that is easily available. If he has any plant wastes available then certainly put these in as well to boost yield, but I would not recommend actively collecting large amounts of biomass from the surrounding area, the time and energy used to do so may negate the gain.

Med venlig hilsen
Alastair James Ward
Post doc.

Inst. for Ingeniørvidenskab