[Digestion] Dung burning vs. anaerobic digestion

Murali Krishna bmkrishna6 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:27:01 CST 2012

Good day Dr. Karve,

While agreeing with you that some Indian villagers are making cow
dung/bufalloe dung cakes for thermal application, a majority of the
villagers have stopped making cow dung flakes.  Labour is becoming
precarious day by day and the daiary industry is finding it extremely
difficult to organize their routine activities ....forget about making cow
dung cakes and selling them.  The amount of methane left into the
atmosphere should also be taken into consideration.  Everyone will agree
that green or dry grass/leaves contain more amount of methane but why
should they run around to fetch these.  These units can simply recycle the
avaialble dung, extract methane (other wise a menace in rainy season),
generate power and the cake from the digestate  can be bunt if they wish so
or it is a rich manure.  The grasses and green leaves matter can be fed to
animals.

Undoubtedly recycling of cow dung/buffaloe dung via anerobic digestion is
the best way.  It serves more than one purpose.

Regards,

Krishna
India.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Anand Karve <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Mr. Ward,
> Thanks a lot for making us aware of the situation in Denmark. I agree with
> you that situations differ from country to country and that one should do
> what is best suited to one's needs and also what the environment allows.
> Please remember that the posting that I reacted to refered specifically to
> cow dung and its author complained about extremely low biogas yield. My
> experience is mainly from India. In my posting I specifically refered to
> dung of ruminents, i.e. bovine cattle and water buffalo. In India, these
> animals mainly graze and they eat mainly grass, which is dry except for the
> rainy season. The dung of such animals has very little digestible matter in
> it. Excreta of poultry and pigs have much more digestible matter than those
> of ruminents.   In India, dung cakes are made only from dung of cattle.
> They are sun-dried. You must be aware of the fact that except for Muslims
> and Cristians, dead bodies are cremated in India. There is a big market in
> India for dung cakes as fuel for creamtion of dead bodies. Compressing
> agricultural waste into fuel briquettes (as boiler fuel) has emerged as a
> big Industry in India. Dung can also serve as boiler fuel.  People are even
> looking at filter presses, which would squeeze the water out of dung, so
> the solids can be coverted into burnable briquettes.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Alastair James Ward <
> Alastair.Ward at agrsci.dk> wrote:
>
>>  Dear A.D. Karve,****
>>
>> ** **
>>
>> I disagree that manure only consists of lignin, mucus and microorganisms.
>> There is a lot of digestible but undigested protein, fat and carbohydrate
>> in manure, not to mention a high concentration of fatty acids which are
>> just one or two steps in the biological pathway away from methane
>> production. It is not disputed that plant material usually produces more
>> biogas than manure, but I think that you have to stand back and consider
>> what factors are most important to the very varied users of this list. I
>> live in northern Europe in a country with a high animal density. It has
>> been calculated that if we could collect all manure produced, all organic
>> wastes available and use all non-food producing land for energy crop
>> production and put it all into biogas plants, we would still not make a
>> very large impact on the national energy requirement (sorry but I forget
>> the exact figures). However, we view anaerobic digestion as a method of
>> treating wastes, with the recycling of nitrogen and phosphorous being of
>> great importance. The fact that we can produce energy is a nice bonus that
>> (hopefully) makes the whole process financially feasible. Burning manure is
>> not a realistic option here. As an example, we produce in excess of 20
>> million fattening pigs every year, in a country of less than 6 million
> [...]

Regards.

Murali Krishna
Chairman
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Ph:+91-40-24339999, 24333333,243355555, 24333555
www.villagevisionindia.com
*

*
*
*
**
*
*
* **Never put water down the drain when there may be another use for it*
*Save the Environment*

*
*