[Digestion] Reaction Kinetics for AD

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 07:27:50 CST 2012

Dear Mr. Muthui,
aerobic reactions combine atmospheric oxygen with the substrate. This type
of oxydation is exothermic. You can compare it with combustion of biomass.
Being living organisms, the methanogens do need oxygen for their
metabolism, but they take it up from the feedstock and not from the
atmosphere. This is how they convert acetic acid, a carbohydrate, into
methane, which is a hydrocarbon. This reaction does not give out any energy
in the form of heat.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Paul Muthui <paul at takamotobiogas.com>wrote:

> G'day All,
>
> How much energy is given out in the digesters as a result of anaerobic
> reaction? I can't seem to get any publication with enough details on this.
> I would like to know the  temperature rise that would be caused by the
> reaction.
> --
> *Best Regards*,
>

>  *Paul S. Muthui*
> *Research & Development Engineer*
> *Schutter Energy Ltd.*
> *P.O **Box 50178 - 00100, Nairobi*
> *Tel: 0738 689 788*
>
> *Mobil**e: 0724 815**594*
> paul at takamotobiogas.com
> www.takamotobiogas.com

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)